After months of will-they, won’t-they, Sony has finally announced that PlayStation gamers can play Fortnite will their friends on different platforms.
It’s not super simple to get working though, so we’ve put together this quick guide on how to Fortnite cross-play between PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch, iOS, and Android.
For cross-play to work, as well as your PSN account, you’ll need an Epic Games account too. You can make one of these by clicking “Sign In” in the top right of the official Epic Games site. Once you’re on that page, click “Sign Up” at the bottom of the box.
How to Fortnite cross-play with PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch, iOS, Android
- First, as discussed above, you need to log into your Epic Games account. You need to do this on a phone, tablet, desktop, or even a console’s built-in browser. If you don’t have an account, you can make one on their official site.
- If you're playing on PC, you'll need to go via the Epic Games Store.
- Once you’re in, hover over or click your username in the top right of the screen, then press “Account”.
- In the "Account" menu, press the fifth option down - “Connected Accounts”.
- In this menu, you can press to connect any other accounts you own with this central Epic Games account. Just use the username and password that you use to log in to each account. This will sync your progress and purchases between everywhere you play Fortnite.
With all of these steps completed, you should now be able to boot up Fortnite on any of the platforms you use and have access to the same stuff. However, if you want to play with friends on a different platform, there are a few more things you have to do.
How to Fortnite cross-play with friends on PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch, iOS, and Android
- Now you need to open Fortnite on whatever platform you play on. Go into Battle Royale as you normally would, then open the options menu in the top right corner. On PS4, this is done by pressing the “Options” button.
- Next, select “Epic Friends” from this menu, and then press the person’s silhouette with a plus sign next to it at the top.
- Now you have to enter the friends you want to play with’s Epic Games account usernames. This is NOT their PSN name, or Xbox Live ID, or Nintendo account name, or anything else. For cross-play to work, you have to enter the person’s Epic Games account username.
- When you’ve added someone’s Epic Games username, press “Add Epic Friend”.
- Once they've accepted the invitation, you should now be able to use the Party Finder to add them to your party and cross-play!
To find the friend requests, your friends need to go into the "Epic Friends" menu in their game. They should be able to see a section titled "Friend Requests" in there.
If you haven't managed to bag a Victory Royale yet, check out our Fortnite key bindings and sensitivity guide to help you get ahead in each match.
Fortnite Season 8 Weekly challenges
You can also check out where to find the Fortnite Season 8 hidden Battle Stars and Banners here.