Pokemon Go Community Day time is upon us again! It's time for us to all all grab our phones and participate in a new Community Day event. The first community day event of 2022 for January is all about Spheal - an appropriate ice-type Pokemon for some pretty chilly weather many are experiencing this month.
To be clear on the event timing, the January 2022 community day takes place on Sunday January 16th 2022, between the hours of 11am and 5pm local time. This event is focused on ice and water-type Pokemon Spheal - and you'll be able to catch plenty of them, including shinies, and evolve some of the caught Spheal into Sealo and its final form, Walrein.
As well as an increased spawn rate for Spheal, players that participate in the community day will be able to enjoy other typical bonus rewards including improved incense and lures, additional catch XP, photobombs when taking pictures, a unique research story, and an exclusive move for the Spheal family of Pokemon.
Pokemon Go Community Day events explained
If you're new to them, Pokemon Go Community Day Events are exactly what you likely expect from their name - they're designed to get players out and about into the world, preferably interacting and hanging out together in locations that are rife with Pokestops like parks and other public places. These events are time-limited to encourage trainers to head out on the same day and at the same day on a Pokemon hunting mission.
There's an incentive to get involved in the form of great rewards. Community day events are typically focused on a specific Pokemon, increasing its spawn rate and making its shiny form more common, plus other associated rewards.
If you head out to a community day event, you might be surprised: you'll likely see other trainers catching Pokemon all over the place during the event if you head to a place like a local park. It's a big deal, and a great way to meet fellow Pokemon Go players.
Pokemon Go January 2022 Spheal Community Day Date, Start & End Time
We did cover this at the start, but for those who just started scrolling, here's what you need to know: the next Pokemon Go community event takes place on Sunday, January 16 2022..
As always, the community event is a limited-time event - it'll run for a locked six-hour period on the chosen day. The January 2022 Community Day Times are between 11am and 5pm local time, whatever that is in your local region and time zone. During these hours the community day will be active, in turn allowing for certain bonus rewards that make participating in the day worthwhile. You'll be able to notice you're playing during the community day right away, most likely, because Spheal spawns will be everywhere.
Pokemon Go Spheal Community Day Rewards: Shiny Spheal, Sealeo, and Walrein, Powder Snow & Icile Spear moves, more
The January 2022 community is focused on one Pokemon species - that's dual ice and water-type Spheal and its evolutions, Sealeo and Walrein. Spheal will spawn more commonly in the wild during the event, and you can also get shiny forms of these Pokemon and a powerful exclusive move.
As we've already said, the main reason to get involved with the community day event is to catch a bunch of Spheal, find one with half-decent stats, and then evolve it into Walrein within the event timing in order to get the exclusive moves, this time Powder Snow and Icicle Spear. This can give you a powerful Pokemon, and possibly even a shiny variant of it if you're lucky!
Because you get a chance to catch so many and because the shiny rates are boosted, you also have a decent chance of catching a shiny Spheal or two in the six-hour event period, and an even better chance of catching one with strong stats. There are some other rewards, however:
- Shiny Pokemon: spawn rates will be increased for Spheal, including in its shiny form. Catch lots of them, and you'll be sure to eventually encounter a shiny Spheal - maybe a few. You can then evolve up to shiny Sealeo and then shiny Walrein.
- 3x Catch XP: during the hours of trhe community event, players will earn triple XP for every Pokemon they catch. Pair this with other boosters and you can grind out lots of XP very quickly.
- Exclusive Move - Powder Snow: the exclusive fast move for this evolution series is Powder Snow. You acquire the move by evolving into Walrein either during the event or within two hours after the event time (so up until 7pm local time) - any Walrein evolved in this time, regular or shiny, will get Powder Snow as its fast move. It's a powerful ice-type move, and can't be taught even by Elite TMs.
- Exclusive Move - Icile Spear: the exclusive charge move for this evolution line on community day is Icicle Spear. The same rules apply; any Walrein evolved during the event hours or within two hours after (so until 7pm) will get Icile Spear, an exclusive and powerful move, as their charged attack.
- 3-Hour Lures / Incense: if you drop a Lure on a Pokestop or Incense on yourself, it'll last for 3 hours instead of the regular length. This means any lure dropped during the event will last the full duration of the event hours.
- Photobomb: during the hours of the community day event, if you take AR photo snapshots of your Pokemon, you have a chance to be photobombed by an excited Spheal, which also triggers an encounter.
- Community Day Box in-store: if you don't mind parting with some money, there's a special Community Day Box that'll be added to the store for the duration of the event. 1280 Pokecoins will get you 50 Ultra Balls, 5 Lucky Eggs, 5 Super Incubators, and an Elite Charged TM.
- Premium Research Story: if you pay $1 for a ticket, you can also access special research during the event. The "The Spheal Deal" optional special research story will all be based around catching Spheal, and be easy to beat during the community day. It'll net you a variety of rewards.